Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Biking


Over the weekend I took my two best girls out on a different kind of bike ride. It was dubbed a reality tour of this fair city and it certainly showed us some reality. Aside from the 23km in the mid-day equatorial sun, this bike trip put you through your emotional paces as you cycled through what can only be called slums, meeting people and experiencing how they lived.

One particularly heart-tugging moment was when we were in a house shared by about 6 families and a little girl was wandering around trying on our helmets and tugging at our hands. She grabbed my hand on one side and my friend's on the other and pulled at us. We glanced at each other and began to swing her between us. I have never seen such a look of pure glee. She shut her eyes, let a huge smile creep across her face and threw back her head as we swung her back and forth. The happiness she got from such a little act was incredible.

I could hardly bear to leave her and she would not let go of my friend's hand. Seeing such joy in poverty reminds you to be thankful for everything you have.
(Photo credit - weheartit.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin