Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Thin and crispy

I made the most delicious pizza last night, entirely from scratch. Ok, not entirely because I couldn't find any bazil or flavourings to make the kind of tomato sauce I wanted to I cheated and bought a jar. However, making the pizza dough from scratch more than makes up for that I think. And I used yeast.

The last two days have been tough enough. Work was busy as I was involved in facilitating a training session in work which is always tiring. I was struggling even more than usual as I had a jellyfish sting on my face and arm (that's what you get for swimming in the open water apparently) and was suffering from an ear infection that appeared overnight, ready to great me for a new week at work on Monday.

What's a girl to do? Go to the doctor and get some medicine and the trail dispiritedly around the supermarket, completely unenthused by the idea of food until the brilliant idea of a pizza hits you. And not just any pizza, a home made pizza. Make dough, let it rise, roll it out with some help from James and top it with tomato sauce, wafer thin slices of courgette, rings of pepper and dollops of goats cheese. Blast in the oven for 20 minutes (probably should have been less but I was distracted) and eat this piping hot tasty dish of joy. Regret having to share it and vow to make pizza at home at least once a week.

I ate it before even thinking of photos so you will have to do with the dough recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups plain flour
1x8g sachet dry yeast (I used what I could get - the type you just add to the flour)
1 teaspoon caster sugar (I used normal sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup warm water

Method:
Combine the dry ingredients and add oil and water.
Mix into a soft dough
Knead on a floured surface until soft and pliable
Return to mixing bowl, cover in cling film and leave in a warm spot for 30 mins. The dough should double in size. ( I covered with a teatowel and I don't know what I'd normally do for warm but here it's already nearly 30 degrees in the room. Some people suggest warming the oven and then turning it off and putting the dough in there to rise)
When it has risen flatten it gently to remove air bubbles and then knead for 1 minute.
Roll out dough to desired size. (I made it quite thin and there was plenty of pizza for two)

Add toppings, cook at high temperature for 15 minutes or so. Ours was very crispy after we had left it for 20 minutes or so and crisping at the edges but still delicious. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love my homemade pizza dough, and it's so easy to double and freeze for future use.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear your thoughts!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin